Wilted Spinach Salad with Asian Pears, Blue Cheese, and Pecans
- 11/2 Tbs. pear vinegar or unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups spinach leaves, trimmed
- 11/2 cups torn frisée, escarole, or radicchio
- 1 Asian pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pecan pieces
- 3 Tbs. crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
Directions1. Bring small pot of water to a boil. Add shallot, and blanch 20 seconds. Drain, and toss with vinegar in serving bowl. Add spinach, frisée, pear, pecans, and 2 Tbs. cheese; toss to combine.
2. Heat oil in small skillet until very hot. Pour over salad, and toss with tongs to wilt greens. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tbs. cheese over salad.
OK, how simple is that???
Now here are the two simple fixes that you can add to change the entire flavor profile of this dish.
Add a protein. Whether it is roasted chicken or flash seared flank steak or how about firm tofu??
Change up the cheese variety. This recipe calls for blue cheese, why not try flaking some Parmesan or Feta or some creamy Havarti???
Now as an example, the other night I made this salad using Goat Cheese and then purchased a rotisserie chicken from Outpost natural foods and carved up the breast meat and used these to create a completely different flavor.
What this does is allow you to have a base ingredient list always on hand, and each night you just might be able to use left overs from the night before to make a healthy tasty salad or an entire meal in only minutes!
Have fun with these recipes everyone! Play around and try new things. It really is so easy to adjust many recipes to your own tastes.